Sailing Information from the Great Lakes and Around the World from the Torresen Sailing SiteSailing Information from the Great Lakes and Around the World from the Torresen Sailing SiteSailing Information from the Great Lakes and Around the World from the Torresen Sailing SiteSailing Information from the Great Lakes and Around the World from the Torresen Sailing SiteSailing Information from the Great Lakes and Around the World from the Torresen Sailing Site

 

Torresen Home Vendee Globe News
Vendee Globe History Vendee Globe Preview
Vendee Globe Directory Solo 'STD'
Vendee Globe Report Users Guide 1998-99 Around Alone

11 February 2001
 

Rhythm of the Race The 2000-2001 Vendee Globe's 1st finisher was record setting Michel Desjoyeaux

Standings table 

Click for Vendee Globe Results

Fleet round up section

Michel Desjoyeaux sailed PRB over the finish line off Les Sables díOlonne, France at 2008 GMT yesterday.  This gave him the Vendee Globe title and a new record for the race and for any solo circumnavigation.  His official time: 93 days 3 hours 57 minutes and 32 seconds.  This is 12 days 16 hours 33 minutes and 51 seconds faster than the previous winner and record holder Christophe Augin also of France.

Next into the French port will be Kingfisher.  Ellen Macathur will likely trail by approximately 24 hours.

After crossing the finish line PRB headed into the harbor with Michel Desjoyeaux lighting off 2 flairs, a tradition of winning solo sailors.

Desjoyeaux keeps the tradition of French skippers always winning this French race.  In the early parts of the race he had tough competition from another French skipper, Yves Parlier.  About this Desjoyeaux said: "Yves was impressive at the start but now I know why I held slightly back and didnít push as hard."  Once Parlier dismasted, PRB went to the front of the fleet.  Except for breif periods Desjoyeaux held the lead.  At times Roland Jourdain and Ellen Macarthur overtook him, but not for long.  

Desjoyeayx solved the question of just how fast to sail.  Not as hard as Parlier but so hard that he obliterated a record.

He overcame his main technical problem while dealing with sailing the Southern Ocean.  After his engine starter burnt out he concocted a method of starting his engine using his main boom.

Interviewed after the race Desjoyeaux said: "80% of this race was won before the start. I just had to finish off the other 20%, the boat was well prepared and the skipper had some fortune on his side too."

Despite a dismating in the English Transt race in the summer of 2000, and the fact that this was Desjoyeaux's first solo around the world race the team meshed to set a signifigant record.

For a solo sailor to set such a dominant record it's clear that both the boat and the sailor must have improved from those that sailed before them.  A new standard has been set, congratulations to PRB and Michel Desjoyeaux!

Skipper Communications

Michel Desjoyeaux PRB ". We knew we could do this in less than 100 days with these boats. Christophe Auguin, four years ago, was sufficiently ahead at Cape Horn to slow the pace a bit. For us, the race in the Atlantic was wild the whole time. And then managing the boat through the Southern Ocean. I felt the change rounding Cape Horn, all the manoeuvres became easier to do. The Southern Ocean was tough but just three days ago it was equally hard upwind nearer to home as well."

Ellen Macarthur Kingfisher "The last couple of weeks have been very emotional, its been so tough to see Kingfisher unable to realise her full potential. Apart from the genoa
forestay breakage, and the one daggerboard and rudder tip, she is in really great shape - amazing after 24,000 miles.... I already feel quite confused, there is already something in me saying donít get off, donít stop, so I guess youíll just have to watch to see what I do!"

Current Weather Moderate in the Atlantic.

Weather Forecast Light winds and even calm patches on the approach to the finish at Les Sables.

What does it all mean

Desjoyeaux completes 93 days to top level sailing.  Reports will continue as the remaining 15 sailors complete the Vendee Globe.