Jason Caroll’s Melges 32 ‘Argonauts’ feature mastman Petey Crawford, who continues to show why he’s one of the world’s top sailing video producers, even when working with nothing but a little GoPro video. This one is from the Gold Cup earlier this month, where Argo came fourth.
Posted in Main Stories | No Comments »
After a 19-year run, the National Offshore One-Design Regatta — commonly called the NOODs — no longer will be held in Detroit, and in its place, Bayview Yacht Club is introducing a new one-design regatta.
The Bayview One-Design Regatta will be similar in format to the NOODs, with three racecourses. The new regatta also will have a fourth course for dinghy classes in the Detroit River in front of Bayview, said race chairman Hanson Bratton.
The race will continue to have non-one design classes for boats racing under a handicap rating. But those races will be held Saturday and Sunday, while the one-design classes will continue to race Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
“It’s time for a change, and we want to see if we can freshen it up a little bit,” Bratton said.
The number of boats has dropped from about 200 in 2008 and 2009 to 150 in 2010 and 100 in 2011, Bratton said. The biggest reason is economics, with the entry fee and food and beverage going up about 10% a year.
The race notice for the new regatta will be on the Bayview website by January, www.byc.com.
Here are a few tips to make your experience at Strictly Sail Chicago the best one possible. Be sure to go to Strictly Sail’s site to check out all the details. Come visit Brian Torresen, Brian Lackie, John Schumacher and Trevor Smith at booth # 444 and Steve Dake and Larry Larsen at the Hunter display. We hope to see you all there!
1. Tickets & Seminars – Buy one get one free tickets can be purchased from Torresen Marine’s ships store. Email Karen or call 231-759-8596 to take advantage of this great offer. You can also purchase them on-line at full price from Strictly Sail’s website $12 for weekday adult admission and $15 for weekend adult admission. Children 15 years of age and under are admitted at no charge (Must be accompanied by a paying adult). Strictly Sail Yacht Club Pass and Family Pass are available online only.
2. Hotel Accommodations – Strictly Sail is excited to announce their new relationship with The Chicago Sheraton Hotel & Towers, a new cost saving and convenient hotel for the 2012 Progressive® Insurance Strictly Sail® Chicago exhibitors and attendees. $99.00 plus tax per night will get you deluxe accommodations, 25% discount in Shula’s Steakhouse, LB Bistro and In-Room Dining, does not include alcohol, tax and gratuity, 50% Discount on valet overnight parking, and complimentary 5PM late check-out upon request (based on availability). Book your rooms early!
3. Choose Your Day Wisely. While Thursday and Friday have lighter crowds and shorter waits for displays, Saturday usually has “bumper to bumper traffic” from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Arrive at opening time and pick your favorite four or five boats to inspect before the rush and then wait until the middle of the afternoon to check out some of the other popular models.
4. Parking – It is a big help to go on-line and visit Strictly Sail to get directions to the best parking. Save on Parking! Park at Navy Pier during the show for $10.00 to $18.00 depending on time of day. This is a savings of $6.00 to $14.00 off their normal parking prices. Space is limited so come early before the lots fill.
5. Plan Your Day – As with most trips, it is best to have a plan in mind as how to cover the features of the show that have the most interest. Serious boat buyers often come on Thursday or Friday when the crowds are not distracting. The same could be true if you intend to research some new deck hardware or repowering your boat (Torresen Marine specialties). Bring the kids along to view the show and to hang out at the Kids’ Club. Kids’ Club is a hands-on activity center designed just for junior sailors where children can draw “sailboats of the future,” and learn knot tying, while you shop on the show floor. Daily prizes will be awarded for the most unique and innovative drawings. Also check out the seminars and special events that will be taking place during the course of the show. To fill out your day, you may want to go on line to Navy Pier and check out the restaurants and other fun things going on right there.
6. Visit Torresen Marine Inc. at booth # 444 and participate in our interactive line splicing seminar and braid your own dockline! You can also visit us at the Hunter Marine display. We look forward to seeing you all there!
Posted in News From Torresen Marine | No Comments »
Anna Tunnicliffe and her team secure gold at the 2011 ISAF World Championships – Boating News
The American women sailor Anna Tunnicliffe proved her worth at the 2011 International Sailing Federation (ISAF) World Championships taking place in Perth, Australia. Tunnicliffe overcame all odds as she along with her team earned gold medals for her country, USA. The American sailing team were going head-to-head with the women sailors from Great Britain as the competition grew. Both teams were competing in the Women’s Match Racing Final which was held on December 16, 2011.
Tunnicliffe, the 29-year-old American captain, showed her sailing skills at the best as she took her team to a gold medal win against the British sailors. The Americans were going against the defending champions of the ISAF World Championship, Great Britain’s Lucy Macgregor. On Friday, the sailing team from the US were able to win four consecutive races as the British team were trailing behind.
For Macgregor and her team from Britain, they were eager to win the day’s races and claim their top spot yet again in the championships. On the other hand, the American skipper, Tunnicliffe, this was the debut gold medal win for her in the ISAF World Championships. She has, however, won a gold medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing in the Women’s Laser Radical Class.
Women’s sailing is set to make its debut at the Olympic Games in London next year. According to reports, Tunnicliffe will be taking part in the racing events. She would be looking forward to score a win to become the leading women’s sailor at the 2012 Olympic Games.
Tunnicliffe was accompanied by her teammates; Anna Tunnicliffe, Molly Vandemoer, and Debbie Capozzi combine to form Team McLaren. Their combined sailing expertise and skilled nautical abilities were enough to give them a dominating stance on the final day of the championships. Team McLaren from USA were successful in winning the best of seven finals against Team Macgregor or Team Great Britain.
As Team McLaren entered the fourth race of the day, Team Macgregor was unable to win any of the races, giving Team McLaren the decisive score of 4-0. In the fourth race, both teams were going for a photo finish as British team was closing in behind. In the end, it was Team McLaren which clinched the race by a difference of mere five seconds.
Scott Nixon, 12/7/2011 7:25:16 AM
This past week in Ft. Lauderdale the Melges32 class battled it out for the Gold Cup in epic sailing conditions in the Atlantic. Three great days of racing in 18-25 knots with waves up to 10 feet made for some challenging conditions for the 18 boat fleet. Short courses and breaking waves put a premium on boat speed and solid boat handling to stay out of the pack. Quantum teams kept the hammer down and took the top 2 spots. Congratulations to Steve Howe and his great team on the WARPATH for an awesome win. Team WARPATH used a full set of 2010 Quantum class sails and were hands down the fastest boat on the course. Congratulations to Ryan DeVos who led his team to a solid 2nd place and another great podium finish. 5 out of the 8 races were won by Quantum teams. Thanks to everyone for the support and trust in Quantum Melges32 sails! Quantum M32 class sails have gone 1,2 this year at the light air North Americans & now 1,2 at the heavy air Gold Cup. Contact your Quantum M32 rep to get your Key West Race Week sails on order today.
1. WARPATH Steve Howe
2. VOLPE Ryan DeVos
3. RED Joe Woods
4. ARGO Jason Caroll
5. DELTA Dalton DeVos
6. FANTASTICA Lanfranco Cirillo
7. PISCES Ben Schwartz